The Relationship Between Metacognitive Awareness and Academic Procrastination Behavior: The Moderator Role of Gender and Grade Level
Abstract views: 322 / PDF downloads: 178
Keywords:Academic procrastination, metacognitive awareness, moderator variable, regression analysis, university students
The purpose of this research is to reveal the relationship between university students' metacognitive awareness (MA) and academic procrastination (AP) levels. In addition, the moderator effects of gender and class level (CL) in this relationship have been examined. Quantitative research method was adopted in the research. As research designs, descriptive and associational designs were used. The sample of the research consisted of 375 undergraduate students studying at Gaziosmanpaşa University. Demographic Information Survey, Metacognitive Awareness Scale, and Academic Procrastination Scale were used as data collection tools. At the end of the study, it was found that students have a low level of academic procrastination behavior and a moderate to high level of cognitive awareness. There is a moderate, negative, and statistically significant relationship between academic procrastination behavior and metacognitive awareness. Metacognitive awareness is a significant variable in predicting academic procrastination. 17.8% of the variance in academic procrastination behavior is explained by metacognitive awareness. As metacognitive awareness increases, there is a statistically significant decrease in academic procrastination behavior. The moderator roles of gender and class level in this relationship are not statistically significant.
• Ayaz, Ö. G. (2019). The relationship between academic achievement and mathematics teaching anxiety levels and metacognitive awareness levels of the pre-service primary school teachers. (Publication No. 560686). [Master thesis, Pamukkale University]. YÖK National Theses database.
• Aydın, K., & Koçak, S. (2016). Examining time management skills and academic procrastination level of university students. Uşak University Journal of Educational Research, 2(3), 17-38. https://dergipark.org.tr/tr/download/article-file/222744
• Aydoğan, S., & Özbay, Y. (2012). Explanation of academic procrastination from self-esteem, state anxiety, self-efficacy. Pegem Journal of Education and Instruction, 2(3), 1-9. https://dergipark.org.tr/tr/download/article-file/209691
• Aykut, Ç., Karasu, N., & Kaplan, G. (2016). Determining metacognitive awareness of special education teacher candidates. Ankara University Faculty of Educational Sciences Journal of Special Education, 17(3), 231-245. https://dergipark.org.tr/en/download/article-file/233912
• Ayyıldız, F. (2016). Predictions relationship between the values of the adolescents have and the academic procrastination and general procrastination levels. (Publication No. 456559). [Master thesis, Necmettin Erbakan University]. YÖK National Theses database.
• Balkıs, M. (2006). The relationships between student teachers’ procrastination behaviors, thinking and decision-making styles. (Publication No. 189853). [Doctoral dissertation, Dokuz Eylül University]. YÖK National Theses database.
• Balkıs, M. (2013). The relationship between academic procrastination and students’ burnout. Hacettepe University Journal of Education, 28(1), 68-78. https://dergipark.org.tr/en/download/article-file/87122
• Baltacı, A. (2019). The metacognitive awareness levels of religious education teachers. Adıyaman University Journal of Educational Sciences, 9(1), 176-198. https://doi.org/10.17984/adyuebd.411749
• Bars, M. (2016). A study of the perceptions of prospective teachers regarding their metacognitive awareness, self-efficacy for the teaching profession and problem-solving skills. (Publication No. 446083). [Master thesis, Dicle University]. YÖK National Theses database.
• Bedel, E. F. (2017). The role of mindfulness and metacognitive awareness in predicting academic procrastination in pre-service early childhood teachers. Journal of Higher Education and Science, 7(3), 504-514. https://doi.org/10.5961/jhes.2017.227
• Bedir, T. (2017). The investigation of the candidate teachers’ inquiry skills and metacognitive awareness levels. (Publication No. 470987). [Master thesis, Bartın University]. YÖK National Theses database.
• Bobko, P. (2001). Correlation and regression: Application for industrial organizational psychology and management. Sage.
• Bytamar, J. M., Zenoozian, S., Dadashi, M., Saed, O., Hemmat, A., & Mohammadi, G. (2018). Prevalence of academic procrastination and its association with metacognitive beliefs in Zanjan University of Medical Sciences, Iran. Journal of Medical Education Development, 10(27), 57-70. http://zums.ac.ir/edujournal/article-1-870-en.html
• Cabı, E., Erdem, E., & Kırkan, B. (2016). Ortaokul öğrencilerinin bilişim teknolojilerinden yararlanma ve üst bilişsel farkındalık düzeylerinin çeşitli değişkenlere göre incelenmesi. Karaelmas Journal of Educational Sciences, 4(4), 92-103.
• Can, S., & Zeren, Ş. G. (2019). The role of internet addiction and basic psychological needs in explaining the academic procrastination behavior of adolescents. Cukurova University Faculty of Education Journal, 48(2), 1012-1040. https://doi.org/10.14812/cufej.544325
• Coşar, H. (2019). Examination the relationship between teacher candidates' social media addiction and academic performance. (Publication No. 581565). [Master thesis, Aksaray University]. YÖK National Theses database.
• Çelik, Ç., & Odacı, H. (2015). Explanation of academic procrastination by some personal and psychological variables. Hacettepe University Journal of Education, 30(3), 31-47. http://www.efdergi.hacettepe.edu.tr/yonetim/icerik/makaleler/662-published.pdf
• Çelikkaleli, Ö., & Akbay, S. (2013). The investigation of university students’ academic procrastination, general self-efficacy belief and responsibility. Ahi Evran University Kırşehir Faculty of Education Journal, 14(2), 237-254. https://dergipark.org.tr/tr/pub/kefad/issue/59471/854610
• Çeri, B., Çavuşoğlu, C., & Gürol, M. (2015). Investigation of academic procrastination levels of the undergraduates. International Journal of Social Science, 34 (2), 385-394. https://doi.org/10.9761/JASSS2721
• Çetin, N., & Ceyhan, E. (2017). The relationship between the academic procrastination of high school students and the trait anxiety, irrational belief, self-regulation and academic achievement. Hacettepe University Journal of Education, 33(2), 460-479. https://doi.org/10.16986/HUJE.2017028261
• Çıkrıkçı, Ö. (2016). Academic procrastination: The role of metacognitive awareness and educational stress. Mediterranean Journal of Educational Research, 19(19), 39-52. https://mjer.penpublishing.net/files/10/manuscript/manuscript_303/mjer-303-manuscript-170415.pdf
• Deniz, D., Küçük, B., Cansız, Ş., Akgün, L., & İşleyen, T. (2014). Examining metacognitive awareness of prospective secondary school mathematics teachers in terms of some variables. Kastamonu Education Journal, 22(1), 305-320. https://dergipark.org.tr/tr/download/article-file/209952
• Doğan, T., Kürüm, A., & Kazak, M. (2014). Predictability of personality traits on the procrastination behavior. Baskent University Journal of Education, 1(1), 1-8. http://buje.baskent.edu.tr/index.php/buje/article/view/3/3
• Ekşi, H., & Dilmaç, B. (2010). An examination of general procrastination, decisional procrastination, and academic procrastination with respect to trait-anxiety among a group of college students. Journal of Uludag University Faculty of Education, 23(2), 433-450. https://dergipark.org.tr/tr/download/article-file/153415
• Engin, G., & Genç, S. Z. (2020). Investigation of the relationship between pre-service teachers' smart phone screen usage times and academic procrastination behavior. Celal Bayar University Journal of Social Sciences, 18(1), 314-325. https://doi.org/10.18026/cbayarsos.678379
• Ferrari, J. R. (1991). Compulsive procrastination: Some self-reported characteristics. Psychological Reports, 68, 455-458. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19220.127.116.115
• Ferrari, J. R., Johnson, J. L., and McCown, W. G. (1995). An overview of procrastination. In J. R. Ferrari, J. L. Johnson, and W. G. McCown (Eds.), Procrastination and task avoidance: Theory, research and treatment. (pp. 1-20). Springer.
• Fırat-Durdukoca, Ş. (2013). The effect of teaching practices performed by using systematic training and lecture methods on teacher-candidates epistemological belief, learning approaches, metacognitive awareness and academic achievement. (Publication No. 350917). [Doctoral dissertation, İnönü University]. YÖK National Theses database.
• Flavell, J. H. (1979). Metacognition and cognitive monitoring: A new area of cognitive–developmental inquiry. American Psychologist, 34(10), 906–911. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.34.10.906
• Gliner, A. J., Morgan, G. A., & Leech, N. L. (2009). Research methods in applied settings: An integrated approach to design and analysis. Taylor & Francis.
• Grunschel, C., Schwinger, M., Steinmayr, R., & Fries, S. (2016). Effects of using motivational regulation strategies on students' academic procrastination, academic performance, and well-being. Learning and Individual Differences, 49(49), 162–170. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lindif.2016.06.008
• Gürültü, E. (2006). Investigation of the relation between high school students' social media addiction and academic procrastination behavior. (Publication No. 445632). [Master thesis, Marmara University]. YÖK National Theses database.
• İlter, D. G. (2019). Self-regulated learning levels and academic procrastination tendencies of physical education and sports college students. (Publication No. 555117). [Master thesis, Cumhuriyet University]. YÖK National Theses database.
• Jaleel, S. (2016). A study on the metacognitive awareness of secondary school students. Universal Journal of Educational Research, 4(1), 165-172. https://doi.org/10.13189/ujer.2016.040121
• Kaya, D. (2019). Predicting seventh grade students’ mathematics achievements: The role of metacognitive awareness, motivation and, self-regulated learning strategies. Ondokuz Mayıs University Journal of Education Faculty, 38(1), 1-18. https://doi.org/10.7822/omuefd.389698
• Koç, C., & Arslan, A. (2017). Academic self-efficacy perceptions and metacognitive awareness of reading strategies of secondary school students. Yüzüncü Yıl University Journal of Education Faculty, 14(1), 745-778. https://doi.org/10.23891/efdyyu.2017.29
• Naktiyok, A., & Kızıl, S. (2018). The effect of organizational support and self-efficacy perception on academic procrastination behavior: An investigation on research assistants. Journal of Business Research-Turk, 10(4), 267-285. https://www.isarder.org/2018/vol.10_issue.4_article14_full_text.pdf
• Ocak, G., & Boyraz, S. (2016). The evaluation of academic procrastination behavior of undergraduates in terms of some variables. In M. Riedler, E. Yolcu, S. Z. Genç, & M. Y. Eryaman (Eds.), Quality assurance in higher education and accreditation of faculties of education (Full text book of The Eighth International Congress of Educational Research) (pp. 172-183). Turkish Educational Research Association Press.
• Odacı, H., & Kaya, F. (2019). Perfectionism and the role of hopelessness on procrastination behavior: A research on university students. Journal of Higher Education and Science, 9(1), 43-51. https://doi.org/10.5961/jhes.2019.308
• Oğuz, A., & Kutlu-Kalender, M. D. (2018). Relationship between metacognitive awareness and self-efficacy of secondary school students. Journal of Theory and Practice in Education, 14(2), 170-186. https://doi.org/10.17244/eku.319267
• Özer, A., & Altun, E. (2011). The reasons for academic procrastination among university student. Mehmet Akif Ersoy University Journal of Education Faculty, 11(21), 45-72. https://dergipark.org.tr/tr/download/article-file/181323
• Öztürk, S. (2019). Examination of pre-service primary school teachers' metacognitive awareness with anxiety towards mathematics teaching. (Publication No. 559606). [Master thesis, Kastamonu University]. YÖK National Theses database.
• Oxford Dictionary. (2020). Procrastination. In Oxford Dictionary. Retrieved October, 12, 2020 from https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/procrastination
• Rothblum, D. E., Solomon, J. L., & Murakami, J. (1986). Affective, cognitive, and behavioral differences between high and low procrastinators. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 33(4), 387-394. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-018.104.22.1687
• Sarıkabak, M., Eyüboğlu, E., & Ayrancı, M. (2018). Investigation of the effect of emotional intelligence levels of Bocce (Petanque) athletes on academic procrastination behaviors. International Journal of Cultural and Social Studies, 4(1), 163-177. https://dergipark.org.tr/en/download/article-file/525900
• Senecal, C., Lavoie, K., & Koestner, R. (1997). Trait and situational factors in procrastination: An interaction model. Journal of Social Behavior and Personality, 12(4), 889-903.
• Sezgin, M., Bakır, B., & Gündoğdu, M. (2019). Investigation of the metacognitive awareness and epistemological belief in university students. Mersin University Journal of the Faculty of Education, 15(1), 276-289. https://doi.org/10.17860/mersinefd.331325
• Sheykholeslami, A. (2017). The effectiveness of cognitive and meta-cognitive learning strategy training on academic procrastination of students with low academic achievement. Journal of School Psychology, 6(3), 153-160. https://doi.org/10.22098/jsp.2017.585
• Steel, P. (2007). The nature of procrastination. A meta-analytic and theoretical review of quintessential self-regulatory failure. Psychological Bulletin, 133(1), 65-94. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.133.1.65
• Şen, H. Ş. (2019). Preservice teachers’ learning approaches and metacognitive reading awareness. The Journal of Turkish Social Research, 23(2), 437-450. https://dergipark.org.tr/tr/download/article-file/779550
• Şirin, E. F., & Duman, S. (2018). Academic procrastination of physical education and sports school students according to gender: The role of general procrastination and academic self-efficacy. The Journal of Turkish Sport Sciences, 1(1), 1-10. https://dergipark.org.tr/tr/pub/tsbd/issue/36533/387641
• Uslu, Ç. (2016). Investigation of metacognitive awareness levels and motivations for teaching profession of pre-service science teachers by different variables. (Publication No. 445683). [Master thesis, Pamukkale University]. YÖK National Theses database.
• Van Eerde, W. (2003). A meta‐analytically derived nomological network of procrastination. Personality & Individual Diﬀerences, 35(6), 1401-1418. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(02)00358-6
• Vural, L., & Gündüz, G. F. (2019). the relationship between academic procrastination behaviors and cognitive awareness levels of prospective teachers. Elementary Education Online, 18(1), 307-330. https://doi.org/10.17051/ilkonline.2019.527226
• Wong, B. S. (2012). Metacognitive awareness, procrastination and academic performance of university students in Hong Kong. [Unpublished doctoral dissertation]. University of Leicester.
• Wu, F., & Fan, W. (2017). Academic procrastination in linking motivation and achievement-related behaviors: A perspective of expectancy-value theory. Educational Psychology, 37(6), 695-711. https://doi.org/10.1080/01443410.2016.1202901
• Yang, Z., Asbury, K., & Griffiths, M. D. (2019). An exploration of problematic smartphone use among Chinese university students: Associations with academic anxiety, academic procrastination, self-regulation and subjective wellbeing. International Journal of Mental Health Addiction 17(3), 596–614. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11469-018-9961-1
• Yaycı, L., & Düşmez, İ. (2016). Analysis of the academic procrastination behaviors of adolescents in terms of certain variables. International Journal of Society Researches, 6(10), 80-101. https://dergipark.org.tr/tr/download/article-file/210744
• Yurtseven, N., & Doğan, S. (2019). Structural relationships among academic procrastination, academic motivation, and problem-solving skill in prep class college students. Pegem Journal of Education and Instruction, 9(3), 849-876. https://doi.org/10.14527/pegegog.2019.027
• Yücel, C., & Şen, Ü. S. (2019). The investigation of the relationship between levels of perfectionism and academic procrastination of fine arts high school music department students. Atatürk University Journal of Social Sciences Institute, 23(3), 1007-1032. https://dergipark.org.tr/tr/download/article-file/835841
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 International Journal of Contemporary Educational Research
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.